|Database Tour Documentation
Opening Informix Databases
There are several ways to connect Informix databases in Database Tour:
1. Opening through FD interface. Select FD interface, click Informix, then fill all needed database parameters.
2. Opening through connection string. Select ADO interface, then choose Connection string option and write a connection string. This way is very flexible and allows to specify many additional parameters in the connection string and override standard Database Tour connection behavior. It is recommended for advanced users. Here are basic connection strings (more examples and details can be found in the Internet):
Provider=Ifxoledbc;Data Source=dbName@serverName;User ID=myUsername;Password=myPassword; (IBM Informix OLE DB Provider must be installed)
3. Opening through ODBC DSN. Create (if it does not exist yet) an ODBC DSN of the corresponding type using Windows administrative tools, and point it to the database. Then:
- Select FD interface, click ODBC, then point the Data source parameter to the ODBC DSN by selecting it from the drop-down list.
- Select ADO or BDE interface, then choose ODBC data source option and then select the needed ODBC DSN from the drop-down list.
4. Opening through BDE alias. Select BDE interface, then choose Alias option and then select the needed alias from the drop-down list. But first, you should create the alias of type INFORMIX using BDE Administrator tool or Tools | BDE | Aliases menu of Database Tour, and point it to the database.